If you do not have enough budget to fill your house with furniture, you can just make improvise chairs by simply picking up pieces of good woods outside your house or near the forest. All you need to have is an idea or design of the chair that you want to come up with, and the materials which are already available at home.
To get you started, here is the list of the materials which you need to prepare, and the step by step procedure on how to make a wooden chair:
Table of Contents
- 1 Things to prepare:
- 2 Step-by-step process of making a wooden chair
- 2.1 Step 1: Prepare all the materials needed
- 2.2 Step 2: Shape the plywood and the wood that you have
- 2.3 Step 3: Mortise Holes
- 2.4 Step 4: Preparing the chair feet
- 2.5 Step 5: Build the back of the chair
- 2.6 Step 6: Nail the trimmed plywood
- 2.7 Step 7: Prepare the surface of the chair
- 2.8 Step 8: Apply polish on the wooden chair
- 3 Conclusion:
Things to prepare:
- Woods in different sizes (whichever is available)
- Jig Saw or Circular Saw (if available)
- Wood Glue (alternative: multipurpose glue)
- Sanding block
- Decking Screws
- Drive bit
Step-by-step process of making a wooden chair
Step 1: Prepare all the materials needed
Identify a spot outside your house where you can gather all the materials needed as listed above. Make sure that you have a socket or an electric plug near you (you can add an extension cord to the list of materials needed if you think it is appropriate) since you will be using an electric drill.
Step 2: Shape the plywood and the wood that you have
Measure and cut the plywood and the wood that you have in accordance with the size you need in making the wooden chair. If you have raw woods, you may also start cutting the edges or the Tenon of the woods.
Prepare at least 4 pieces of long woods, and 8 pieces of short woods which you will use for making the feet of the wooden chair.
Step 3: Mortise Holes
Plan how you will glue the parts together, and using a marker or a pen, mark where you are going to put Mortise holes.
Using the drill, make holes in the marked areas.
If you still do not have a hole maker at home, you may try looking for the best pocket hole jig tools available near you. To check on the best brands, you may look up to this site:
Step 4: Preparing the chair feet
Glue the parts together, following the Mortise holes that were made using the previous step. Let it dry for a moment.
When you are done with the feet of the wooden chair, you can now proceed with making the base of the platform.
Step 5: Build the back of the chair
Using the leftovers from the trimming process, glue them up to make a good back for the wooden chair. Make sure that everything is properly installed because it may cause an accident or injury to whoever will use the wooden chair in the future.
Step 6: Nail the trimmed plywood
Place the trimmed plywood on top of the glued wooden chair feet, and nail it using a hammer. Be careful not to break the skeleton for it may cause the feet to break it parts.
Step 7: Prepare the surface of the chair
Since you used several different kinds of wood to build up the wooden chair, it is necessary to make sure that it is clean. Use the sandpaper to clean the edges and the surface of the wooden chair to avoid further injuries.
Step 8: Apply polish on the wooden chair
To finish the chair, make sure that you apply a polish to avoid ants and termites to easily enter the woods. You have a choice of whether you paint the chair, or just apply wood wax on it to make it more beautiful and classy. Let the paint or the wax dry up by putting the chair in a well-ventilated area.
Pro-tips in making your own wooden chair:
- Beforehand or after making the wooden chair, prepare a bean bag to make the wooden chair more comfortable to sit on.
- You may choose to use some PVC to glue up the pieces of the wood.
- Use the excess wood in making benches or stools—types of wooden chairs which requires lesser pieces of woods.
- Put a weight on top of the chair to make sure that it can carry a man, a pet or a thing without breaking down.
There is a choice of either burning the woods clumped outside your house, or make something meaningful about it. Just by getting enough woods, you can make a chair which you can use to make your space more personalized.
Did you enjoy making a wooden chair? Share your insights by commenting on the box below! Share the link to others to lessen the burning of woods, and help with the furniture industry in all areas around the world. To know how to clean a wooden chair, you may browse through my current postings.