Water is a very important commodity in the life of humans.it is useful and very essential in your outdoor activities like camping, hunting, hiking, backpacking etc.
In some outdoor events, it might be hard to get clean water for drinking. Some outdoor events require a lot of water supply due to harsh conditions and because of that; you need to stain out water impurities that are harmful for your body.
Appropriate hydration is important in the outdoors. Water is a heavy commodity and carrying enough water for your outdoor experience is ineffective and can weigh you down.
There are very harmful microorganisms in water like Giardia and Cryptosporidium which leads to serious health complications when consumed.
There are different types of contaminants found in water. They include particulates, minerals, bacteria pharmaceuticals and chemicals. Some methods of removing these elements are simple and less expensive while others are elaborate and costly.
Table of Contents
How to purify water for outdoor activities?
1. Boiling water
It is one of the safest methods of purifying water. It is ideal for both indoor and outdoor activities. Boiling water is essential for killing germs and parasites.
If you are boiling water to purify, you need a heat source, such as a camping stove or a cooker and a vessel for holding the water.
However, boiled water does not taste flat hence you can freshen its taste by shaking or stirring. This enables the water to get some oxygen.
- It produces safe water for drinking as it removes microscopic organisms that may be found in water.
- It is the cheapest method of water purification as there are no expenses incurred.
- It might be ineffective in case of fuel shortage or lack of a heat source.
It is among the lightest and smallest water purifying tools in the straw method of water filtration. New methods which have been devised are ideal for use. Drinking straw is one of the best deals as it can be connected to the water heater’s drain valve so as to clean up the water.
The survival straws are more flexible since they can fit onto a garden hose. This is necessary since they can filter the water passing through it. These straw filters have activated carbon filter elements that remove larger pathogens and bacteria as well as removing bad odors and flavors in the water.
- It is simple to carry and use
- It is a less expensive means of water filtration
- It is not necessary for removing small bacteria.
- They are simple tool and cannot be used by a large number of people.
- They are highly volatile and do not have a long life guarantee.
3. Ceramic water filters
It is an inexpensive and effective method of water purification. It relies on small pore size of the ceramic material that filters dirt, bacteria and debris out of water.
During filtration, water is introduced to one side of the filter, which blocks the passage of smaller particles than the pore size. Normally, protozoa, bacteria and microbial cysts are removed.
However, the filters are ineffective against viruses since they are very small enough to pass to the other side of the filter. Ceramic water filters may be treated with silver in to prevent them from bleaching. The silver is also ideal for killing or incapacitating bacteria as well as preventing the growth of algae and mold in the body of the filter.
- It is lightweight and highly portable as it can fit into your bag or backpack.
- It is highly versatile for most conditions including disaster management, international travel, hiking, hunting and camping.
- It does not filter out very small microorganisms like viruses.
4. Purification/filtration pumps
When going for outdoors and camping activities, there are many different kinds of pumps with purifiers and filters that ensure clean and drinkable water is produced into your water bottle or can. This is possible by squeezing water through charcoal filter and treating it with chemicals.
Hi-tech water bottles have this built-in process in them such that you don’t require pumping water into a separate bottle because the purification process occurs as you suck or squeeze water into your mouth directly.
An example of this filter includes the Katadyn pocket filter.
- It’s highly effective for killing virus, bacteria and protozoa.
- Highly portable and ideal for camping, hunting and hiking.
- An effective home filter.
- Simple to use.
- It does not remove chemical contaminants from water.
5. Use of purification tablets or drops.
Have you been wondering on how to purify water in the wilderness? You can use these drops or tablets to purify water. However, it is not the best tasting method of water filtration but protects you from drinking water that has bacteria.
Iodine tablets are the most used water purifying tablets. However, you can also use chlorine tablets with the same outcome.
These tablets are the most effective when purifying water above 21 degrees. These chemical tablets kill bacteria living in water and are most often used by campers in the wilderness.
- It is ideal for killing bacteria and virus found in water.
- They are a cheap method of purifying water.
- It is not recommended for pregnant women and people with thyroid problems.
- It gives water an unpleasant taste.
Water purification is highly important. However, some methods of purification may be ineffective to you hence we decided to highlight some of the best ways on how filter water.
We advise our customers to choose wisely the best ways of filtering water. Different situations calls for different measures hence it is necessary to plan before considering any type of filtering water. It is also important to consider the type or nature of water that you want to filter.