A first aid kit is an amalgamation of all the amenities, medicines and requisites for attending an ad hoc health mishap. A first aid kit can be basic as well as comprehensive. It depends upon the casualty and the intensity of the probable injuries. A basic first aid kit constitute the things necessary for minor cuts, burns, sprains or strains .Whereas a comprehensive first aid kit include the things required for more serious ailments. Let us check the conditions where we can use the first aid kit.
Multipurpose of First Aid Kit
A well prepared, full fledged first aid kit can act as a savior for a multitude of things. Enlisting the various ailments that can be taken care of with the help of the contents of a first aid box. Please see:-
- In Case Of Fainting – An aromatic inhalant, made up of ammonia is used in this case. The substance is crushed and is held near the nose of the patient. The initial distance must be 4 inches from the nose and as the ammonia gets weaker, hold it close.
- For Mild Skin Infections – The affected area should be covered with a thin layer of a mercury ointment. This particular ointment must be ammoniated. However, take care not to apply it if already treated with iodine.
- If Constipated – Tablets containing aloin compound are to be taken as laxatives
- Pains And Aches – Aspirin that contain acetylsalicylic acid should be taken to cure pains. The consumption quantity should not exceed 2 at a time and a gap of 3 hours ought to be maintained. It is recommended not to take more than 12 tablets in a day.
- For Burns And Chafing – An ointment containing boric acid should be spread evenly on the affected area. Generally, sulfadiazine ointment is applied and a wooden applicator is used for the same.
- Eye And Nose Pain – Eye drops and nasal drops are used to get rid of any congestion inside. One or two drops of each are enough.
- Malaria Symptom Prevention – Atabrine tablets are used for this. To be taken two times a day, twice in a week Continue to take it until the area is not changed.
- Mental Fatigue – Benzedrine tablets, if consumed every 6 hours help overcome this problem. Make sure to limit the doses to 3 times a week.
- Diarrhoea – Take 4 to 6 tablets of Bismuth sub carbonate tablets daily. It can be taken as 3 to 4 times frequently until the diarrhea stops.
- Small Scratches – They can be treated with an iodine ointment.
- Frostbite Treatment – Spread foille evenly over injured surface. Foille should be warmed before its application, otherwise can cause more harm than good.
- Athlete’s Foot – Apply foot powder between the soles and between the toes. Wash the feet and dry properly before applying.
- Skin Sterilization – Iodine swabs are used for this.
- Severe Pain Relief – Morphine Tartarate Solution (1/2 grain) to be injected. For injecting, choose a loose body part which can be quickly exposed. For e.g. the upper arms, thighs or the loose abdomen skin.
- Itching Caused By War Gases – Pontocaine compound gel to be applied on to the affected area.
- Eye Inflammation – Mild silver protein tablets to be dissolved in water (a spoonful) and should be poured in the eyes, every 3 hours.
- HEAT CRAMPS – To prevent heat exhaustion and cramps, salt tablets to be consumed.
- Indigestion – Peppermint tablets or Sodium Bicarbonate tablets to be taken .Not more than two tablets every half an hour.
- Sting Or Poisonous Bites – A suction kit is required. Tourniquet to be applied above knee or above the elbow as per the condition. Applying iodine to the area of bite is the second step. Cross incisions of ¼ inch long and wide, to be made. Suction is applied to the wound. Post the suction process, remove the tourniquet and dress it.
- Prevention Of Wound Infection – Sulfadiazine tablets to be used.
- Water Purification – Halazone tablets can be used for water purification
Just being familiar with the first aid contents is not enough. It is indispensable to know the correct procedure to use each of these. Hence, take proper training and acquire knowledge about these, prior to using them, be it at homes, cars, workplaces, leisure centers or in your backpack while travelling. So, be alert, help yourself and help others.
See top first aid kit reviews here: