Surviving the harsh climate is tough, especially if you are not armed with the right gear. It is a matter of life or death! That being said, you need to demonstrate preparedness. With this, the best wool blankets for survival are sure to be handy.
In most blankets, comfort is the most important consideration, which is why people opt for one that is lightweight, soft, and fluffy. However, if you are in a situation wherein surviving is a must, you need to go beyond comfort and look for protection instead.
If you are on the lookout for the best survival blanket, we got you covered in the rest of this post. By considering the products mentioned in this post, it will be likely that you will make a decision that won’t bring regrets.
Why You Need a Survival Blanket
For most of you, a regular blanket will do the job. For colder climates, you will most probably opt for a comforter since it is thicker. However, for survivalists, this will never be the case. They will always opt for a blanker that is made specifically for survival. It warms and protects the body from harsh climate while also making sure that it is not too heavy and thick.
A survival or emergency blanket can be used in multiple ways, not just for keeping you warm during chilly nights. Aside from insulation, it can also be used as temporary shelter, such as for building a tent. It can also be used as a ground cover.
If you keep a winter survival kit in your car, a blanket is one of the must-haves. After all, it is compact and space-efficient, so there is no reason for you to not carry one when you are driving.
When you are sleeping outdoors, such as in a tent, hypothermia is a major concern. It is no joke and it can kill you. This makes a survival blanket a true lifesaver!
A survival blanket, specifically one that is made of wool, can also be used as emergency cordage and signal panel.
Why Choose Wool
When it comes to survival blankets, there are various materials that are available. For instance, some of them exist in the form of thin heat sheets. There are also space blankets, which are thin and lightweight.
If you want something that is thick and fluffy, on the other hand, you can opt for down and synthetic down, which are also common for sleeping bags. They can be too thick for some users.
Among others, wool is one of the oldest and most popular. The popularity of this material can be attributed to its many benefits, including the following:
- Durable: With proper care and maintenance, wool can last a lifetime. This is unlike other materials that will quickly ask for a replacement. This makes wool blankets the ultimate addition to your survival kit. Aside from being durable, the material does not shrink as well.
- Fire-Resistant: More than your comfort, safety is another reason why wool is a great material of choice. It is fire-resistant. However, to be sure that it won’t burn, see to it that you are using a 100% wool blanket and not one that is blended with synthetic fibers.
- Insulation: The insulation that is provided by a wool blanket is also impressive. The best thing is that it can insulate even when the wool is already wet. However, if it is pure wool, its insulation capability can also be minimized.
How to Take Care of Wool Survival Blanket
Even if you have wool blankets for survival, it is important that you pay attention to its care and maintenance, which is possible by keeping in mind these things:
- Although you can machine-wash wool survival blankets, some people recommend dry cleaning as a better alternative to retaining the peak shape of the blanket.
- If you choose to still wash it, make sure to use cold water only. Choose the delicate cycle to avoid causing serious damages to the material.
- Air drying wool blanket is the best way to have it dried. Machine-drying can cause the material to shrink because of too much heat.
- For regular cleaning, ventilating the blanket will suffice. All that you have to do is give it a shake and hang. Washing, however, is recommended once it got wet, especially because of rain.
- Read the care instructions on the label and follow it religiously.
Our Top Picks for the Best Wool Blankets for Survival
Here are some of the top products that you might want to include in your list of choices.
1. Olive Drab Green Warm Wool Fire-Retardant Blanket
One of the top-rated products in many winter survival blanket reviews, this is definitely one option that should be part of your list. This non-woven blanket is made of 80% wool, which is enough to provide comfort and protection from the extreme cold. The remaining 20%, on the other hand, is made of synthetic fibers. Meanwhile, the size is 66 x 90 inches.
What makes this a great survivalist blanket is the fact that it has fire-retardant construction, which will provide you with peace of mind.
Lastly, it is also worth pointing out that this is a blanket that is actually used by the US military. This should be enough for you to be convinced that the quality is indeed superior.
2. EKTOS 100% Wool Blanket
This 100% wool blanket has a weight of 5.5 pounds and a size of 66 x 90 inches. With its weight, you can anticipate that it has a protective quality that will be hard for other products to match. It is loom-woven and constructed in such a way that it can prevent fraying.
Since it is made entirely of wool, it is unmatched in terms of the warmth that it can provide. It can regulate the body temperature to ensure comfort.
This blanket is also machine and hand-washable, which makes it easy to maintain its best condition even after several years of use. Lastly, this wool blanket is also fire-retardant.
3. Arcturus 80% Heavy Military Wool Blanket
This blanket is made of 80% wool, has a size of 64 x 88 inches, and weighs 4 pounds. It has a density of 550 GSM.
However, since it is a military-grade survival blanket, take note that there is a slight odor that you can notice, which is pretty much normal.
This great-looking thermal survival blanket is also machine-washable, which makes it effortless to clean and maintain, even with frequent and long-term use.
4. Stansport Heavy-Weight Wool Blanket
With the all-weather warmth that can be provided by this blanket, it will be possible to survive in the outdoors longer. It is made of 55% wool and 45% polyester. Its size, on the other hand, is 60 x 80 inches. It is tight-woven, which makes it effective in repelling water.
One of the reasons why it is well-loved by many is the fact that it is multipurpose. Aside from being a blanket, you can also use it as a surface cover, shelter, tablecloth, and sleeping bag, making it a popular choice amongst survivalists.
5. Rothco Wool Blanket
Made of 70% virgin wool, it is incorporated with 30% premium synthetic fibers that make the blanket fire-retardant. It also comes with a woven construction, which is the reason for its durability. This is unlike other survival blankets that can be easily prone to fraying.
Like the other survival rescue blankets that were mentioned in this post, it is also excellent in terms of the warmth that it provides while maintaining its breathability.
With the wool blankets for survival that have been mentioned above, it will be easy to stay warm and comfortable even when you are in the outdoors. They also deliver different uses, depending on how creative you are. Such a material is also fire-retardant. All of its benefits, however, can only be enjoyed if you choose the right product.