|Picture||Name||Our Rating||Price||Get Product|
|12-inch Dragontail Tenkara Shadow Fire||4.1||$$|
|Maxcatch Tenkara Rod With Telescoping Carbon Fly||4.4||$|
|Dragontail Tenkara Hellbender 13-11.3’ Zoom||4.2||$$|
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Tenkara rod?
- 2 How to choose the right Tenkara rod?
- 3 Top 3 Best Tenkara Rod Reviews On The Market 2018
- 4 Conclusion
What is Tenkara rod?
The Japanese have traditionally used this fly-fishing method which they call Tenkara. The Tenkara rod consists of a line, rod and fly. Japan as we all know is an island and during the times of serious crisis and famine, they have survived on seafood and fish mainly, for centuries. You can confidently assume they know how to fish and have the best techniques as well.
Tenkara rod is useful in streams, lakes and city ponds. It is a good choice for someone who wants to see what fly fishing is all about and enjoy its uniqueness. It is popular because of how much less add-ons you will need when you go Tenkara fishing. It has become increasingly popular among avid fishermen in America due to its simplicity.
How to choose the right Tenkara rod?
Tenkara fishing rods come in many lengths from 8 inches to 18 inches. Small and long length rods are precision rods which we recommend only for experts who want high-end precision. However, for a beginner we recommend you go for a 12 inch fishing rod which can help you fish both in deep and shallow water bodies.
- Water bodies
If you go fishing on a shallow water body, go for 12 inch or smaller length which causes less friction. You can opt for add-on handles which help you expand or shorten the fishing rod as per your needs.
Mainly based on a person’s preference, you can choose a hard or soft action rod. Soft rod is easy to reel and you can cast easily. It will also safeguard the tippet. The hard action is better if you are catching bigger trout as they are stiff.
Top 3 Best Tenkara Rod Reviews On The Market 2018
12-inch Dragontail Tenkara Shadow Fire
This product is made in America and has a beautiful red and black design. It a great option for those who intend to fish where the fishes are found between 17 and 19 inches. It is a great rod for those who prefer style and quality.
- It is an affordable range of Tenkara rod which is comparable to mid-tier fishing rods in performance. Mid-tier rods are much more expensive than this model. You can easily catch small to medium sized fish with this one.
- It is a 6:4 rod for soft action, 12 foot/ 360 cm in length which comes in a matt black color.
- The rod weight about 3 ounces and is made with IM graphite which is a high-quality carbon fiber- strong but still ultra-light.
- Its starter package includes wheel line holder which is made up of foam and 27 spools of moonlit tippet. It also includes 3 Tenkara flies that are soft.
- The length of the rod is 20.5 inches which is easily collapsible. You can easily carry it in your backpack and go.
- It comes in 9 segments which has a butt chap made up of metal with a slot to insert coin and another slot for drain.
- It comes in a storage tube which is hard and has 23 inches.
- It is easy to set up in less than 3 minutes which has no reel, so rigging up is super quick and you will be able to use it in water in no time.
- It is a starter pack which doesn’t contain all the features a pro will need.
Maxcatch Tenkara Rod With Telescoping Carbon Fly
This is a value Tenkara rod which is fully made out of 100% carbon fiber with all features of a good Tenkara rod. Great choice for someone who wants to get an idea about what Tenkara rod offers.
- This is a super light fishing rod which is available in 12 inch and 13 inch.
- It is a 7:3 action rod divided into 9 segments with a body which is telescoping which makes it easy to compress and pack. If you are a back pack traveler, this 21.3-inch rod will easily fit.
- It has a 12 inch cork which can provide you the best casting experience and also great comfort and grip.
- It is made with carbon fiber which is IM8+10, which is light yet strong. It comes with a tip which is thin enough to enhance precision. The tip also rotates slightly. You can easily catch a big trout with this rod.
- It weighs only 4.2 ounces and is a great choice for someone who has never used a Tenkara rod before.
- Maxcatch offers a 1-year guarantee as the brand strives to provide quality goods. If you ever need parts of it to be changed or repaired, you can easily do so.
- The telescopic design is great but needs to be handled with care as it may get stuck when pushed erratically.
Dragontail Tenkara Hellbender 13-11.3’ Zoom
This hellbender Tenkara fishing rod is a premium fishing rod. If you are looking for a rod which can help you catch big and small fishes alike and do not want to buy a heavy or long rod due to their travel or any reason which prevents them from carrying heavy rods, then this must be your pick.
- It is a Tenkara rod made to catch big fishes. If you are fishing someplace with a good number of bass and trouts and want to fish on running streams, this is the fishing rod which serves multiple uses.
- It comes in 11 inches to 13 inches with a 7:3 action rod.
- It is designed to help catch fishes that are big without losing control. That doesn’t mean you can’t catch small fishes with it. You can easily catch them!
- It is made with IM 12, a high grade of carbon fiber which is not offered at this price range for any Tenkara rod.
- It comes in a starter pack which consists of most things you need to start Tenkara fishing, like 3 flies which are soft, Moonlit Tenkara line of a premium quality, foam holder and tippet.
- It doesn’t reel and can be rigged quickly to use with set up time less than 3 minutes.
- It has a telescoping zoom which makes it a convenient fishing rod to ship in streams and water bodies that are big.
- It weighs 3.4 ounces and can be collapsed to 24 inches which is great for travelers.
- If you want a fishing rod which is very precise, you might want to buy some add-ons to this. This alone may not be very helpful.
After considering various factors, we have listed three Tenkara fishing rods which are great for beginners. Two of the products reviewed are offered as a starter pack which you can use as soon as you buy and even modify it as per your preference with many added accessories.
Tenkara is a very simple fishing technique which can be learnt with a good fishing rod. We hope to make your hunt to find the best Tenkara rods easy by shortlisting our top three picks. If you love fishing on the weekends, then these rods are bound to make fly fishing more fun!