Being a survivalist and an outdoor enthusiast can be fun and exciting. However, it can also be frustrating, and at times, can even put you at risk. Fortunately, as long as you have the right gear and skills, you can go through it. Among others, one that you will need is the best survival jacket.
When you are wearing the right outdoor jacket, you will feel more comfortable and safer. Even if the temperature is freezing, when you are covered with the right gear, the temperature will not be a hindrance to complete whatever it is that you need to do.
Looking for a new survival jacket? Clueless on which one you should buy? The rest of this post can extend a helping hand. We’ll let you know some of the best products that will allow you to confront inclement weather and still enjoy the outdoors!
Why Do You Need a Survival Jacket?
To survive in the outdoors – this is the simple reason why you definitely need to invest in a survival jacket. If you assume that any jacket would suffice, you are wrong! Your ordinary jacket may provide the protection from the cold, but that is not all that you need.
You need a survival jacket to tackle the rigors and uncertainty of the outdoors. It is not only insulated, but it also has waterproofing to keep you dry. It has sealed seams and high-quality stitching so that water will not penetrate. Despite all of its protective elements, however, it is still lightweight, which is important for your highest level of comfort.
What are the Types of Survival Jacket?
As you decide which one to buy, you need to be familiar with the different types that are available and decide on which one is most suitable for your needs and preferences:
- Hard-shell Jacket: Often simply referred to as a shell jacket, this is your first line of defense against snow, rain, and wind. It is versatile because it is thin and lightweight. It does not have an insulation, which is why it is not effective if you are in a place that is extremely cold. They are often made of synthetic materials.
- Soft-shell Jacket: This is perhaps the most common of the survival jackets that you can find on the market. It has a soft and flexible body. It offers protection from wind and extreme weather conditions. It also keeps you dry and comfortable even when the outside is already wet. It is stretchy, which is great if you have to move a lot, such as when hiking.
- Insulated Jacket: If you expect that extreme cold will confront your outdoor adventure, this is the best choice for a survival jacket. More often than not, they have a down or synthetic fill, which will make the jacket thick enough to fight the cold and make sure that it will not penetrate. Some of these jackets are sometimes called puffies.
- Fleece Jacket: The polyester material that is used in the fleece jacket is meant to have properties that are similar to wool. It is a good outer layer for a cold environment, but not when it is too cold.
How to Choose the Best Survival Jacket
Before we list down some of the top options that you might want to take into account, here are some of the most important factors that you have to consider to narrow down the possibilities that will confront you:
- Weather: Think of where you will use the survival jacket. Is it a place with rain or heavy snow? Is it up on the mountain where it is only cold but it is not raining? Once you know the weather, it will be easier to decide what jacket will be a suitable choice.
- Materials: Pay attention to the materials that are used in the interior and exterior of the jacket. As it will be shown in the examples below, some of the most common materials include nylon and polyester.
- Waterproof: To be protected from the rain and to keep yourself dry, see to it that the jacket has excellent waterproofing.
- Pockets: As much as possible, the jacket should have plenty of pockets, including some with zippers. The latter will provide a safe place to keep your valuables and have them accessed easily when you need them.
- Style: Aesthetics is one thing that you should not ignore. A good jacket is a combination of form and function.
Our Top Picks for the Best Survival Jacket
This section will make it easier for you to reach a decision as I enumerate some of the jackets that will be worth your money. We’ll also discuss some of their notable features to convince you that they are indeed exceptional picks.
1. The North Face Thermoball Full Zip Jacket
Made by one of the most popular brands for outdoor gears, you can be confident that this jacket is what you will need for survival.
The shell of this jacket is made of 100% nylon, which is known for being a lightweight material. The insulation, on the other hand, is 100% polyester to provide warmth without the bulk and weight.
One of the innovative features of this product is the PrimaLoft synthetic insulation. Even if the exterior of the jacket is already wet, you will still remain warm.
On the lower side of the jacket, there are zippered hand pockets to keep the things that you need with you.
Despite being thick and insulated, it is a good thing that the jacket is still lightweight, making it easy to bring with you wherever you head.
2. Arctix Men’s Performance Tundra Jacket
With this jacket, tackling the outdoor conditions will be a lot easier, making it the ultimate survival apparel. The critical seams are sealed, which will help to keep you dry.
As a high-performance outdoor wear, the multilayered construction of the jacket does not only make it durable but also makes it thick enough to fight the chilling temperature. It comes with heat-trapping microchambers to keep you warm throughout the day. Although it has exceptional insulation, it is a good thing that it is still lightweight.
The jacket is made of a super-strong ballistic shell. It has exceptional strength to fight abrasions and other tough outdoor conditions.
Other features that you can find in this jacket include the removable hood,and reflective lining for visibility. You will also love how it has plenty of pockets to provide easy access to the things that you have to bring with you.
3. Condor Outdoor Summit Softshell Jacket
The outer surface of the jacket is made of 100% polyester. It is made even better with the DuPont Teflon Coating, which makes it perfect to use even during rain.
It is also a good thing that it comes with drawstring waistband and hood, which you can easily adjust to customize the fit based on what you are most comfortable with.
There are also several features that ensure your comfort. For instance, it has underarm vent zipper, which will provide ventilation. The wrist cuff is also adjustable. You can have it tightened if you want to feel warmer.
You will also have lots of space to stow your gear and personal belongings. There are two internal pockets, two chest pockets, forearm pocket, double back pockets, and two shoulder pockets.
4. Rothco Special Ops Soft Shell Jacket
If you are looking for the ultimate outdoor survival jacket, this is another option that should be part of your list. On the outside, it is made of waterproof polyester shell. The fabric is also breathable and wicks away moisture, which will keep you dry on the inside. It has a three-layer construction, which makes it effective in deflecting wind and keeping you warm.
The fleece-lined collar is also a plus, which makes it comfortable. This also adds up the ability of the jacket to keep you warm.
Under the arms, there are also zippers, which will be great for ventilation. Meanwhile, the wrist cuff has a hook and loop closure.
5. Columbia Men’s Frost-Fighter Puffer Jacket
If you are looking for the best winter jackets, this is another product that should be on the top of the list, especially because it is made by a company that is popular for their outdoor gears.
The shell of the jacket is made of 100% polyester, the lining is 100% nylon, and the insulation is 100% polyester. With this construction, it is indeed obvious that it is going to effectively fight frost to keep you warm even in the extreme cold.
This jacket has binding cuffs, abrasion-resistant chin guard, and zippered hand pockets. More so, the fabric has Omni-Shield technology, which allows it to repel water and stain.
6. Bear Grylls Men’s Mountain Jacket
One of the things that we love about this jacket is its casual design. The main fabric is made of 100% polyamide polyurethane-coated fabric. It comes with 100% polyester linings. The materials used are lightweight but can offer protection from the cold, although the insulation is not as superior as the thicker jackets.
Like the survival jackets that are mentioned in this post, it is also waterproof. Even the seams are sealed to keep the water out of the jacket.
There is also an adjustable cuff, as well as inner drawcord so that you can adjust the fit of the jacket for a personalized comfort.
7. Marmot Women’s Minimalist Jacket
Staying true to its name, the minimalism of this jacket is one thing that might make you choose this. Despite the simple design, it is effective in keeping you warm when in the outdoors.
The Pac-Lite laminate fabric, the main material used in this jacket, is one feature that is worth noting. The fabric is lightweight, yet it does not compromise the performance of the jacket.
The jacket also comes with an attached adjustable hood, as well as zippered hand pockets.
8. TACVASEN Men’s Military Tactical Fleece Jacket
One thing that makes it the perfect survival jacket is the fact that it is windproof and waterproof. Despite such, it is still breathable, which means that your comfort is not compromised while offering protection from the external environment.
The Shark Skin fabric used in the jacket is known for its durability. To make it even better, it has an inner fleece lining, which adds up to its ability to keep you warm.
Lastly, the jacket also comes with zippered pockets with generous space for the survival tools that you have to bring with you, such as a flashlight, pocket knife, and your phone.
9. Camo Coll Men’s Outdoor Soft-shell Tactical Jacket
The jacket’s outer shell is made of 94%polyester and 6% spandex. The lining, on the other hand, is 100% polyester. It has a corded hood, which you can tighten or loosen as desired. It is also windproof and water-resistant.
The cuff of the jacket comes with an adjustable wristband. You can have it tightened if you are feeling cold or loosened if you want air to circulate. You can do so through the elastic hook and loop.
10. Outdoor Research Men’s Helium HD Jacket
Made of 100% nylon, one thing that makes this a great survival jacket is the fact that it is lightweight, and hence, comfortable. It is also breathable and waterproof.
The jacket comes with zippered front and hand pockets. The zippers used have premium quality. They are easy to close and open.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a hood, which will help to keep the head dry. The hood is also wire-brimmed to keep it fixed on your head.
In sum, the best survival jacket is indeed a must-have for any outdoor enthusiast. As a part of your apparel, it will keep you warm during the cold weather and will still allow you to function and demonstrate your peak performance. It will keep you comfortable and protected. Nonetheless, not all jackets are created the same. So, choose wisely, or better yet, limit your options to the products that have been mentioned above.