Opting for the right footwear is crucial for anyone not only just for comfort but various other issues. When it comes to the law enforcement boots, the wrong type of footwear can not only cause hindrance while walking on some of the toughest terrains. Poor fitting footwear leads to sprained ankles, injuries related to the tendons, causing excessive stress and strain to the knee joints, heels, and the lower back.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are law enforcement boots?
- 2 Why you should have a pair of law enforcement boots?
- 3 Which law enforcement boots are right for you?
- 4 How many types of law enforcement boots?
- 5 How to choose the best law enforcement boots?
- 6 How to clean and keep boots in good state?
- 7 What are best law enforcement boots on the market?
- 8 Making the decision
What are law enforcement boots?
|Top Selling||Shop||Design||Color||Zipper||Lace||Material||Water resistance||Our Reviews|
|Maelstrom Men’s TAC FORCE 8 Inch Military||Military Tactical Work Boot||Black & Tan||Yes||Yes||Leather and fabric||NO||Our Reviews|
|Under Armour Men’s Stellar Tactical Boots||Minimalist design||Black||NO||Speed Lace||Treated leather and Nylon textile||Yes||Our Reviews|
|Smith & Wesson Breach 2.0 Men’s Tactical Side-zip boots||Tactical Side Zip||Black||Yes||Speed Lace||Leather and nylon textile||Yes||Our Reviews|
|Bates Men’s Ultra-Lites 8 Inches Tactical Sport Side-Zip Boot||Tactical Sport Side-Zip||Sage and Black||Side Zip||Yes||Treated leather and nylon textile||Yes||Our Reviews|
|Men’s A.T.A.C. 6″ Side Zip Tactical Boot||Side zip tactical||Black & Tan||Yes||Speed Lace||Leather and nylon textile||Yes||Our Reviews|
When you are on the lookout for your next pair of tactical boots keep an eye out for these features. Keep that in mind, the following features are the bare essentials that needs to be there in your footwear if you are looking for a sturdy boot that is meant to last for a considerable period.
Why you should have a pair of law enforcement boots?
Tactical boots being one of the most essential tools for people travelling for longer periods, especially on tough terrains have some of the following benefits:
- Law enforcement boots are made from comfortable, water resistant and high-grade materials.
- Lightweight feel of these boots laden with speed lace technology makes these the most convenient accessory.
- Flexible construction of the boots and the breathability factor of the material used in the construction of the same makes it sure that your feet stay dry and cool despite being inside the boots for extended hours.
- Agility, enhanced traction and overall resilience of the boots delivering supreme performance all throughout the day makes them the ideal choice.
- Leather forms of the tactical boots are also used by the youth these days as an accessory for fashion.
- Tactical boots are all constructed with a minimalistic layout allowing the wearer to spend less time and energy fussing over their footwear and use the same energy to cover greater distances over shorter periods of time.
- Overall strong and sturdy construction of the boot adds to the protection factor of the same. This ensures that the wearer is safe from cuts and abrasions while covering harsh and unforgiving terrain.
- Tactical boots are versatile boots having extensive use and is usually preferred in the hunting, camping, trekking, hiking and climbing expeditions of the frequent backpacker.
- Lightweight factor of the tactical boots is due to the minimalistic approach towards their construction by the manufacturers making them way lighter than the regular, standard issue combat boots.
- Regular combat boots generally come manufactured with a high drop due to the difference in height created by the outsole and midsole of the boot itself.
- Minimalistic tactical boots have a forward drop of about 5 mm or less that allows you to have a natural gait and walking/standing posture. With less padding and material in the boots, your feet must become accustomed to a different way of walking and running. Therefore, different muscles and tendons in your feet and legs that you don’t typically use will become activated. You will be strengthening ligaments and muscles in your legs that are not usually used when wearing regular military boots, thus increasing overall leg and foot strength.
- Lightweight boots support stronger leg and foot muscle that results in overall efficient use of energy reserves further enhancing your agility and speed.
Which law enforcement boots are right for you?
To chalk out the type of boot that works well as per the changing situations one must select the type of terrain that they would be treading on. It can be any of the three following terrains.
- The suburban setting or the urban jungle made of concrete
- Is the terrain belonging to the mountainous region or that of the flatlands of the country side?
- Are you beating the heat in the desert or you are knee deep in the marshes?
One can easily think what does these surroundings have to do with the types of boot one prefers to wear in the line of duty. Well, long story short, mismatching your boot type with the environmental setting could make you pay and suffer in ways more than you can imagine.
The wise thing to do is to do bit of homework about the grounds you are about to traverse so that you can pack your gear accordingly. The extreme heat of the desert to the extreme cold climate of mountainous regions, all of the above should be taken into account before one goes ahead and chooses the type of boot they feel is convenient for them. The best thing to follow is the type of activities you would be doing and the type of performance you need from your boots.
Given below are three possible climatic conditions that would be challenging your limits as well as your gear:
Wet & Rainy
If one is living or travelling to areas that receive constant rainfalls or has tough terrains with several water bodies then its best to opt for the Jungle boots. These boots are made of canvas, attached to soles made of rubber and is characterized by its lightweight construction. The boots are remarkable at letting water in and out of the same and quickly drying out as soon as possible.
This is made possible due to the unique nature of the canvas material added with specially positioned eyelets woven in to the material that not only allows the easy drainage of water but also the free flow of air through the boots for quick drying and expelling leftover moisture. This simple yet effective construction model allows the boots to be excellent at preventing tropical ulcers and blisters in the feet of the soldier.
Hot & Dry
In extreme weather conditions in places such as deserts where it remains hot and dry, one needs to keep their feet protected at all times. A good quality boot protects from burns and skin damage. For this, the desert boots are an invention that is tough and made from rough suede leather coupled with nylon sidings or laces. Since these boots are meant for usage in the extreme heat conditions of the desert, protective inserts made of steel are eliminated, drainage eyelets are removed from the face of the boot so that the sand doesn’t get inside the feet of the soldier.
Cold & Chilly
Chilly weather conditions require a person to wear something that offers comfort as well as warmth to the feet. Frost bite and a number of other cold related health issues might crop up if the foot isn’t well protected. For this purpose, insulated boots are a preferred choice. These are made to sustain the wearer’s feet and keep the same warm from the harsh climatic conditions where the temperature can plummet to around negative 20 degrees Fahrenheit! These boots are often lined with extra layers of insulating materials such as wool, rubber and pelt for added protection against the bitter cold.
How many types of law enforcement boots?
The previous section just gave an indefinite outline about the types of combat boots out there for your convenience. This section will be talking about the same with intricate details.
There are mainly three types of combat/tactical boots up for grabs in the market
- Standard issue boots
- Jump boots
- Tanker boots
This is a basic version of the combat boots available in the market with the added benefit of water resistivity and durability. These boots are manufactured from black hardened leather and is constructed with the vision of providing the individual with added stability and support. These boots are made for handling the rough and tough terrains of the combat scenario with ease. The versatility factor of these boots makes the same ideal for all your hiking and trekking needs.
- Capable of handling rough terrain
- Heavy-Duty tread
- Water resistant
- Heavy on the feet
As soon as they were envisioned and put into mass production, they were given a quirky nickname, “paratrooper boots.” They have in the service of the world’s paratrooper units and been in the service ever since the 1940’s. These boots are reinforced with additional support in the forms of padding on key areas such as ankle area, with the shanks reaching the calves!
The heels are made optimized for airborne action coupled with rubber soles. For adding up to the protection factor, toe caps are added in the revised versions. If you are on the more adventurous side, where your roads take you to the more uneven and tough terrains, then these boots would serve you well in your quest to conquer the challenges of the great outdoors.
- Added protection in t he calves and the toes
- Extra padding in the ankle area
- Rubber soles for added traction and grip
- Heavy on the feet
These specialized boots were developed in the states the moment General George S. Patton, Jr. commissioned the Tank Corps in the United States of America. These boots were made to cope with certain specific needs, performance factor and overall convenience the crew needs while working inside a tank. These boots are not equipped with laces instead the same is replace with leather straps. This adds to the fact that these boots don’t have anything to tangle itself with.
The added ability of these boots to resist heat for long periods of time makes them ideal for working inside the blistering heat of the interiors of the tank. The reinforced steel toe guards, layered tongue, the plastic or steel guards on the shanks and added with the metal inserts makes this category of boots the ideal choice for all your adventure trails and trekking needs.
- Extra safety feature
- Added protection against impact and penetrating objects
- Heat resistant
- Gusseted tongue
- Reinforced heel and toe inserts
- Heavy on the feet
How to choose the best law enforcement boots?
A good pair of tactical boots is what makes all the difference when it comes to cover difficult terrain, withstand the elements and to have ample grip even in wet conditions. The boots need to withstand and stand up to the performance parameters recommended for combat as well as field conditions for extended periods of time.
While on the lookout for a tactical boot, always look for the following factors in the same. It is suggested that you pay close attention to the following aspects since they can even become the only factor on your side in a life and death situation.
The weight of your footwear determines the amount of energy you would be spending while running or walking. If the boots that you are wearing are not light then your legs will become easily tired and fatigued thereby making it harder for you to catch that perpetrator or to beat your batch mate’s record in the pit! It aids towards betterment of one’s performance by removing the necessity to burn more calories that is required of the weight of the foot wear is more
Comfortable to wear for hours
The comfort factor of any footwear is really what it counts to be in both the mental and physical state to fight and resist in the combat zone. If your footwear is the reason you are distracted then it could also be the reason why you missed the shot on the high value target! These boots should be manufactured using materials that allows a bare minimum amount of air to get inside and pass out of the feet to keep the same cool and dry allows the individual to focus on the situation more
If the boot is manufactured from a breathable material then the feet of the soldier will be nice and dry and won’t be smelly even after extended hours of being within the confines of the boot. Having the breathable variants allows easy escape of moisture and keeps the feet dry and minimizes the chances of blisters and tropical ulcers
This feature is a must to look for if you are looking for a boot that can perform really well in wet conditions all the while keeping your feet dry. Synthetic mesh boots is the ideal product to look for if your next backpacking trip is somewhere amidst the Amazon! These boots offer superior resistance to water and keeps your feet dry no matter what. Now being resistant to water would aid towards apt protection in wet and humid conditions
If you are wearing a pair of tactical boots and you fall down as soon as you come in contact with a wet surface, then it’s actually of no use right!? While buying a pair of boots, always pay close attention to the material that is being used to manufacture the tread of the boots.
If the material is anything other than pure rubber keep this in mind, the boots won’t be of much help in wet and slippery conditions. Similar to bare feet, rubber has a greater response when it comes to stability and overall grip on wet and slippery surface. If the material is made up of other synthetic material then it may have enhanced durability and longevity but the overall traction that is necessary in combat or training situations will be compromised. The overall traction and grip of these boots gets enhanced in wet and slippery surface conditions.
Zipper or Laces
The overall features that come incorporated in the tactical boots have changed significantly over the decades of its use in combat situations. Laces were there in the boots that acts as securing and fitting accessory for the same. Now with the changes in time, zips are also added on some unique positions of the boot that has its own functionalities.
Both the humble lace and the zip have their own advantages. The lace is a strong, durable yet time consuming accessory on the boot. It requires quite some time to lace up your boots, doesn’t it!? Adding to that, the laces tend to damage the leather with the gradual wear and tear one would expect with time and use.
A zipper on the other hand, offers a quick and easy way to get your feet inside the boot and secure the same afterwards. The overall longevity of a zipper over laces is not an unknown fact. But with the advent of modern technology, Speed Laces came into existence and is being implemented in the footwear industry with the zipper option side by side.
- Both options are unique in their own way. Choose as per your taste
- A zipper is quick, durable and reliable
- A lace is comparatively cheap compared to that of laces
- Zippers used in footwear, are generally made of metal. They tend to be corroded overtime. Proper care is needed
- Costly when compared to a pair of laces
- Laces tend to damage the eyelets and later on the leather surface with the gradual wear and tear
How to clean and keep boots in good state?
Law enforcement boots are made from different material for different usage conditions. This creates the requirement to follow certain procedures for cleaning the same which is a bit tricky. This is due to the fact that the cleaning processes are different for different material. Given below are some of those procedures:
To clean leather boots
Leather is not so tricky to clean since the material already goes through a lot of treatment procedures before the same is used to make a pair of boots. Even after that, care should be taken by following these steps
- Let the mud dry and remove the same by hitting your boots together on the heels
- Use a brush made of horsehair and use the same to remove the remaining dust and dirt from the surface of the boots
- A damp cloth come handy while removing the remaining debris and dirt
- To make the leather water proof, applying water resistant conditioner is advised and later on rub the leather surface with soft cloth for added shine
To clean suede boots
Boots made from suede leather is a bit tricky to clean since the same is known to trap moisture, dirt, oil and stains obviously. Given below are some of the tips for cleaning your suede boots
- Similar to that of leather boots, letting the mud and dirt dry and then scrubbing off the same with the help of a brush
- If there are stains in the boots, applying a bit of dish detergent on the area should do the trick
- Removing oil stains is a bit technical to say the least. Mix two parts of hydrogen peroxide with one part baking soda followed by half a cup of dish washing detergent and pour all of them together in a sink full of warm water
- Put in your boots and let them soak for some time. Afterwards use a nylon brush and gently scrub the stained area. Makes sure that the boots are completely dry before you put them on your feet. In normal sunny conditions, it would take a minimum of two days for the boots to lose all of the moisture
To clean synthetic fiber boots
Synthetic material is the most easiest to maintain and clean. This makes the cleaning and maintaining of synthetic boots so much easier than the previous types of boots. The following tips if followed carefully could prove to be very useful while cleaning synthetic boots.
- Let the mud dry and then knock it all off by gently tapping the boots together at their heels
- Mix water and vinegar together to remove stains from the boot
- After application, use an old toothbrush and simply scrub off the dirt from the surface of the shoe
What are best law enforcement boots on the market?
The following section gives a brief account of the top 5 products available in amazon in the tactical boots category. The unbiased reviews are formulated for giving the prospective buyer the best possible option out there if they are looking for replacement for their old pair.
Maelstrom Men’s TAC FORCE 8 Inch Military
- Mixed materials used for the manufacturing process of these boots
- Treated leather with nylon textile for durability
- Rubber sole for added grip in wet surfaces
- Enhanced breathability factor
- Nylon and leather upper portion in the toe region that can be polished
- Resistance to oil and moisture entrapment
- Not Waterproof
Under Armour Men’s Stellar Tactical Boots
- Leather and nylon material mixed construction
- Rubber sole for added grip on wet surfaces
- Treated leather for durability and longevity
- Ankle length arch for added support
- Not resistant to water
Smith & Wesson Breach 2.0 Men’s Tactical Side-zip boots
- Nylon and leather material used for manufacturing the boots
- Zipper added with hook feature installed for convenience
- Increased breathability and protection due to the gusseted tongue
- Lightweight feel and comfortable EVA sole in the middle
- No water resistance
Bates Men’s Ultra-Lites 8 Inches Tactical Sport Side-Zip Boot
- Manufactured by using fabric and treated leather
- Sole made from pure rubber that adds to the overall grip and anti-slip factor
- Removable cushioned inserts
- A little on the heavier side
Men’s A.T.A.C. 6″ Side Zip Tactical Boot
- Leather material
- Synthetic sole for durability
- 6’’ shaft
- Leather toe
- Not water resistance
Making the decision
The law enforcement and the combat areas demand equipments and accessories that offer specialized performance under demanding situations. Even if boots may look like they are belonging to the lower section of the priority list in the tactical gear section, they are essential for maintaining control during combat and training scenarios.
Now making a decision to select the right boot for your purpose, it is important that you have a clear idea about key basic things. First among them is the weather condition where you might be wearing these. It is pretty important that you choose the boots accordingly as selecting a boot meant for cold and chilly conditions can never be supplemented by the ones meant for hot and dry weather conditions. Secondly, you need to be very sure about the budget while deciding the product that suits the requirements you have.