Best emergency water filter is the perfect item to have on hand for those times when you are away from a clean water source. These excellent products have been helping hikers, campers, and survivalists stay hydrated and healthy even in the middle of the woods for a long time, and they have become increasingly popular with outdoor enthusiasts around the world.
If you are looking for the right emergency water filter to fit your needs, you have come to the right place! Check out this list of the best filters on the market today, and learn how to select the right product for you and your travel plans.
Best Emergency Water Filter – Comparison Chart
Top 5 Best Emergency Water Filter Reviews
When looking for the best emergency water filter, it is important to keep a few different options in mind to make your outdoor exploration safe and fun.
#1 LifeStraw Family 1.0 Water Purifier
When outdoor explorers look for the perfect emergency water filter for most situations, they tend to reach for the LifeStraw Family 1.0 Water Purifier.
This compact and easy to use water filter is one of the most well-recognized on the market today, and if you are looking for something that can work for a long time without breaking your budget, you are sure to enjoy this product.
Anyone who loves to go camping can get a lot of use out of this great item, but if you are the type of person who camps for long periods of time, you might prefer a sturdier model that can last even longer.
- Small and lightweight, which makes it easy to carry in a backpack.
- Works on a simple gravity filter system, making clean water easy to obtain in almost no time.
- Removes bacteria and contaminants for over 4700 gallons of water.
- Smaller filter model, which may not work well for high-volume campers.
- Since this filter is lightweight, it is prone to breaking more easily than other models.
- Design may be difficult to use without spilling water.
#2 Survivor Filter Pro 0.01 Micron Nanofiltration Water Purifier
If you have a little bit more to spend in your emergency water filter budget, you might consider upgrading to this Survivor Filter Pro 0.01 Micron Nanofiltration Water Purifier rather than choosing one of the cheaper models available on the market today.
This filter has been thoroughly tested, and features a unique triple filtration system that you cannot find with other, similar products today. Campers and hikers who spend a lot of time out on the trails, or anyone who is looking for fresh, clean water in a situation where it may be hard to come by for a long time, can get tons of use out of this simple little device.
Best of all, it is backed by a popular brand name that proves it is worth the cost.
- Very popular model made by a well-known company.
- Unique triple filtration system makes this product over twice as efficient than its competitors.
- Filters very quickly using a simple gravity filtration method.
- Expensive, and may be too pricey for casual campers and outdoor adventurers.
- Larger design may make this product too bulky to carry.
- Because of its increased filtration, this product may not last as long as many others on the market.
#3 Big Berkey Water Filter with 2 x 9″ Ceramic Filters
Hardcore outdoor sports enthusiasts who plan to spend a long time camping may want something a little bit more permanent in terms of their emergency water filters. This water filter is not for everyone, simply because it is not a very portable option.
However, if you are looking for something you can set up and make use of frequently throughout a long-term camping trip, this is the perfect survival tool for you! Bring it along to your next primitive-style outdoor activity and make the most of fresh water whenever you need it the most.
- Capable of filtering dozens of gallons of water in a single day.
- Easy to use, and even easier to keep stocked with fresh, filtered water at all times.
- Includes sterile filter elements that make it easy to keep your water clean for a long period of time.
- This large filter system may be difficult to transport for long distances.
- Because this emergency filter is meant for long-term use, it is much more expensive than other options on the market.
- Has been known to leak more often than its competitors.
#4 Survivor Reusable Personal Water Filter
For a much more affordable alternative that works well for more casual outdoor enthusiasts, check out this Survivor Reusable Personal Water Filter. Like its larger counterpart, this Survivor water filter has been tested and proven to filter well over twice the amount of contaminants as its leading competitors.
Since this personal-sized filter is reusable, this means that you will be able to get years of life out of this product, simply by washing and replacing the filter component. When you do a lot of hiking, you need a product that is built to last. This filter is all that and more!
- Utilizes the same triple filtration feature as the more expensive Survivor models.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Easy to drink directly from without risk of further dirtying your water.
- May be difficult to clean while on the trails because of its replaceable filter pieces.
- Drinking mouthpiece has been known to leak or break frequently.
- May not be powerful enough for incredibly dirty water situations.
#5 Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
Upgrade your personal water filter to this Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System to get even more enjoyment out of your fresh, clean water while hiking, camping, and otherwise exploring the wilderness.
This simple little filter is small enough to fit in your pocket, which makes it perfect for those times when you have your backpack crammed full of everything else you need along the way.
Despite its small size, this is a powerful little filter that is sure to come in handy for a long time to come.
- Easy to transport and even easier to use.
- Comes with a drinking pouch so that you never have to worry about dirtying your water by drinking out of the filter.
- Very affordable alternative to many other products on the market today.
- The attached cap closure has been known to break and leak.
- Does not feature a reusable filter component, so additional filters will need to be purchased.
- Does not come from one of the better-known brand names on the market.
Buying Guide for Emergency Water Filters
There are a lot of aspects to consider when selecting the right emergency water filter for your situation.
First and foremost, it is important to think about your budget in terms of which water filter will work best for you. Do you have a lot to spend on a top of the line model, or are you looking to keep your purchase under thirty dollars? Your budget will help you choose the area in which you need to look for the perfect emergency filter for your needs.
If you are an extreme outdoor enthusiast, you may need a larger and more permanent filter model than you would if you simply take a few hikes every now and then. Survivalists looking for the most extreme primitive adventure may prefer to work with smaller and more portable water filters, while those who will be camping in one spot for a long time might do better with a larger option.
Depending on what you are looking for in a filter, you may choose one with certain strengths over a different, comparable model. A filter that is lightweight and portable may be best for adventurers who do a lot of hiking.
However, a sturdier product may work well for anyone looking to spend weeks out on the trails or lost in the woods without the promise of clean water in the near future.
Brand name should never be the only deciding factor when it comes to choosing the right filter for your emergency and survival situations, but it is important to keep it in mind.
A product with a popular brand name may have better customer service, but it may be more expensive than an off-brand, generic product. Weigh the pros and cons before making a final call.
It is always important to see what other customers are saying about the products you are interested in purchasing. It may seem obvious, but you should probably not stake your clean water on a product that only has a few good reviews!
Rather than simply looking at the positive and negative reviews, however, be sure to consider the number of reviews as well. This can show you how many people have purchased the same products, and may help sway your decision.
It may seem like a daunting task to choose the right best emergency water filter for your needs, but rest assured that you can make the right decision easily when you consider this simple buying guide.
Check out the top five survival filters on the market today, and choose between these products based on your budget as well as your size and filtration needs.