When heading for a backpacking trip, there are times when you’ll need to cut down a tree or some branches that may be blocking your path. No matter the reason, it would seem more practical to use a backpacking survival saw for such projects.
Selecting the best survival saw for your backpacking trips is a great investment. It’s no surprise that most campers prefer them owing to their ease-of-use, portability, compactness and efficiency.
Table of Contents
- 1 3 Types of Backpack Saws for Survival, Camping
- 2 10 Best Backpack Saws for Survival
- 2.1 Bahco 10-21-51 21-Inch Ergo Bow Saw
- 2.2 Gilmour 21-Inch Bow Saw 521
- 2.3 Truper 30255 21-Inch Steel Handle Bow Saw
- 2.4 Gerber Freescape Camp Saw
- 2.5 EverSaw Folding Hand Saw
- 2.6 Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw
- 2.7 Corona RS 7255 Razor Tooth Folding Pruning Saw
- 2.8 Silky Folding Landscaping Saw
- 2.9 Chainmate CM-24SSP 24-Inch Survival Pocket Chain Saw
- 2.10 Sportsman Pocket Chainsaw
- 3 Conclusion
3 Types of Backpack Saws for Survival, Camping
#1. Bow Saw
Just as the name implies, the design of this saw looks like a bow. Sometimes, bow saw is referred to as swede saw, buck saw and finn saw. Bow saws are efficient at cutting wood owing to their wide and coarse blades. They’re even more useful when you plan to cut wet or green wood.
In a bow saw the frame blade is held in tension inside the metal frame. This saw finds great application when cutting or pruning branches up to 6 inches thick. Bow saws are versatile enough to make both straight and curved cuts.
This is a seemingly tiny saw that packs a great punch. Folding saws are reliable and efficient owing to their diamond-shaped blades. The double rows of teeth in a folding saw allows it to cut in both direction. They’re are generally lighter compared to bow saws and tend to hold their performance for longer.
This type of saw provides the convenience of a dedicated handle with a more robust design. More often, folding saws are multi-purpose tools that can be used for more delicate cutting tasks.
#3. Pocket Chainsaw
Pocket chainsaws are known for their compactness, flexibility and lightweight construction. This makes them much easier to carry in your backpack without damaging other items in your pack. This makes them more efficient to carry compared to folding saws and bow saws.
Pocket chainsaws have smaller and more aggressive teeth that provide a portable and compact means of taking down branches and even standing trees. They’re an invaluable tool for outdoor and emergency situations.
>>> Read more: Best Camping Gear to Buy
10 Best Backpack Saws for Survival
Now that we’ve known the three main types of backpacking survival saws, it’s time we take a look at the top 10 best recommendations that you can purchase right now.
Bahco 10-21-51 21-Inch Ergo Bow Saw
This bow saw is a handy choice for those planning to saw through dry seasoned wood. The saw measures 21 inches long to provide plenty of cutting surface. It’s made of tempered high-quality steel that’s been hardened to cope with tough environmental conditions and demanding cutting applications. The blade is coated in an enamel paint for excellent resistance against rust and corrosion.
Apart from being tough and durable, this bow saw sports a lightweight tubing for easy handling. There’s an advanced tension mechanism that ensures each cut goes straight. Comfortable grip is provided by an ergonomic handle integrated with a knuckle protector for safety.
- Good for cutting through dry wood pieces
- Knuckle protector prevents accidental injuries when sawing
- Comes in a lightweight construction for easy handling
- Advanced tension mechanism for straight cuts
- Durable tempered steel blade for long-lasting performance
- Doesn’t cut through green wood easily
Gilmour 21-Inch Bow Saw 521
This is one of the best bow saw for pruning and camping. It comes in a unique slanted frame designed to provide ergonomic grip and extra clearance needed in larger sawing projects. This saw measures 21 inches long and provides a cutting length of 5 inches. The raker-toothed blade is hardened for fast cutting operations.
This edge hardened blade is further coated in a non-stick material for protection against rust and corrosion. The coating also works to minimize the effort needed in sawing. By rotating through 45 and 90 degrees, the blade lets you cut at different angles. What’s more, you get the convenience of a quick self adjusting tension mechanism. Blade changes is made easier and quick via the tension lever system.
- Comes extremely cheap for a 21-inch bow saw
- Pointed nose design fits in tighter spaces
- Blades rotates through 45 and 90 degrees for extra flexibility
- Generous cutting length of 5 inches cuts through wide surfaces quickly
- Handle is not that comfortable hence not suitable for prolonged use
Truper 30255 21-Inch Steel Handle Bow Saw
Truper 30255 bow saw makes easy work of thick branches. This is a bow saw that can saw through a 10-inch lumbar without any issues. Though it comes a little bit heavier than some of the best backpacking saws on the list, it has an ergonomic and comfortable grip to compensate for that. With a comfortable handle design, it keeps the saw well balanced.
The blade is made of steel and and coated to provide maximum protection from rust and corrosion. There’s an advanced cam-lever tension mechanism that keeps the blade straight and perfectly tight.
- Makes easy work of thick branches
- Pointed nose for easy reach in tight areas
- Quality and durable metal construction
- Quick blade release mechanism lets you change blade in seconds
- Cam-lever tension mechanism tends to become loose over time
Gerber Freescape Camp Saw
This is one of the best bow folding saw for those planning to do some cutting on a camping trip. The saw makes use of a 12-inch blade to create that compact design for cutting in tight spaces. As the name implies, this saw is designed to fold flat without the need to be disassembled.
There are 4 pivotal points that come in handy to tackle large diameter wood and let you use the full length of the blade. Once folded, the blades remains protected for easy and safe storage. The rubberized non-slip grip gives you a firm and comfortable hold regardless of the work conditions.
- Folds down without having to disassemble any parts
- Great for light and compact users
- The blade is easy to replace
- Maximized usable cutting area
- Short blade requires lots of strokes to make a cut
EverSaw Folding Hand Saw
Regardless of what your cutting needs are, this folding saw makes easy work of it. From pruning, hunting to camping, this saw is always there to serve its function. This multi-purpose saw can cut wood, bone and even PVC. The saw has a compact and rugged 8-inch blade with triple razor teeth for fast sawing. The blade is hardened to always stay sharp and smooth.
Featuring a pull cut sawing mechanism, this saw helps reduce friction and binding to a great deal. The ergonomic grip provides a comfortable slip-resistant hold. There’s a gear system that locks the saw for safety while allowing for easy blade adjustment.
- More teeth per inch for efficient sawing
- Advanced design that reduces friction and binding
- Lock-in blade feature for enhanced user safety
- Lifetime warranty
- The handle feels a little flimsy
Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw
This is a good folding saw for campers and hunters out there. It’s a general purpose saw having a blade size of 7-1/2 inches. Thi blade has a whopping 7 teeth per inch for efficient and fast sawing. It’s this XT toothing blade that transforms the saw into a general purpose cutting tool for bones, plastic and wood (both dry and green).
The blade s coated to minimize friction and keep it from rusting. A safety lock comes in handy to lock in the blade for added safety. This folding saw has a two-component non-slip grip. There’s a leather strap for easy carrying wherever you go.
- Ergonomic handle that’s got excellent grip
- Safety locking mechanism
- Provides great cutting motion
- Relatively durable and ideal for outdoor use
- Not ideal for labor intensive projects
Corona RS 7255 Razor Tooth Folding Pruning Saw
This survival hand saw has 8-inch razor tooth blade that makes easy work of small to medium branches. The blade has a curved design and features triple impulse hardened teeth that remove 3 times more material in each stroke. A chrome plating on the blade comes in handy to minimize friction and hence improve efficiency.
The larger carbon content used on the blade lets it stay sharper for longer. You get additional user comfort provided by an ergonomic co-molded handle. This folding saw is ideal for both personal and professional use.
- Pretty good for those that want to save of space and weight
- Easy-to-use and secure locking mechanism
- Nice curved design for smooth drawing
- Does a good work for cutting small to medium branches
- Hinge mechanism tends to get loose frequently
Silky Folding Landscaping Saw
This is one of the best folding backpacking saw owing to its greater number of teeth per inch. With 8.5 teeth per inch, this has the most teeth concentration among the folding saws on this list. This provides that aggressive and fast cuts in both green and dry wood. The blade measures 9.5 inches long, a size that comes in handy when cutting medium softwood branches.
This folding saw makes use of a silky technology to ensure smooth cuts every time you get your hands on it. The saw is quite light for its size to guarantee easy handling and improved portability. It comes with a clear carry case for easy storage and carrying.
- 8.5 teeth per inch for aggressive and fast cutting speed
- Relatively lightweight for increased portability
- Great for gardening and landscaping
- Includes a carry case
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Not ideal for thick wood
Chainmate CM-24SSP 24-Inch Survival Pocket Chain Saw
This pocket chain saw is your ultimate friend when it comes to gathering firewood. It’s a quality chain saw made of patented steel and diamond tipped teeth designed to last and stay sharper for years. The chain is flexible to help you cut fast and easy.
This chain saw comes with a belt loop pouch for convenient storage. It doesn’t disappoint when it comes to portability, thanks to a lightweight construction that makes it much easier to carry. The strap handles are made of heavy-duty fabric and come over-sized to fit your winter gloves.
- Lightweight construction for improved portability
- Includes a loop pouch for easy carrying
- Over-sized and durable strap handles
- Diamond tipped for many years of use
- Needs to be sprayed regularly to keep rust free
Sportsman Pocket Chainsaw
Compared to the 24-inch chain saw, this chain saw lets you cut higher thanks to its longer length of 36 inches. With the longer length, you get longer strokes and more teeth for faster cutting times. Apart from providing fast cutting speed, the long length of this chain saw provides a better body posture for minimum user fatigue.
This saw rips through 3-inch limbs in seconds and comes ultra-light for easy portability. The chain is treated to keep it corrosion free and virtually rustproof. Rugged strap handles made of tough nylon are fitted on the chain saw for comfortable grip. There’s a belt loop and carry case for easy carrying.
- Webbed handles for larger grip area
- Solid and sturdy riveted blade
- Can be sharpened for continuous use
- Fast cutting time and longer reach
- Lifetime guarantee
- Needs some patience to align
All survival backpacking saws reviewed here are good products that will make a very nice addition to your backpacking trip gear. There are so many features that these survival saws provide and almost everyone is impressed at how helpful they can be. They’ve got a good rating from users, both DIYers and professionals alike. Now it comes down to making your own decision and select the one that has impressed you most in terms of function, quality and design.