Cleaning the pool is a hard task, especially if you do it manually. Luckily, these days, this is no longer the case. It is no longer a dreaded activity, basically because of the presence of tech-advanced equipment that will be able to lend a helping hand. To be specific, your life will be a lot easier with the help of the best automatic pool cleaner.
An automatic pool cleaner gets rid of the dirt and contaminants in the pool while requiring less human involvement. Basically, it is a vacuum cleaner that is designed to be used in a swimming pool. There are many options available, but you should not see this as an excuse to end up with just any product. To come up with the right decision, read on and learn from some of the insights we will be sharing.
Table of Contents
- 1 Three Types of Automatic Pool Cleaners
- 2 Best Automatic Pool Vacuum – Our Top Pick
- 3 See also:
- 4 Why You Should Clean Your Pool Regularly
- 5 Considerations when Choosing an Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 6 Tips and Tricks for Keeping the Swimming Pool Clean
- 7 Wrap Up
Three Types of Automatic Pool Cleaners
Before we proceed with our recommendations on the top picks, let us first have a quick look at the three types of automatic pool cleaners to help you decide which one is the most suitable for your needs.
Robotic Pool Cleaners
As the name implies, they work like robots, similar to the mechanism of a robotic vacuum cleaner. They are small and powerful, capable of lifting all sizes and shapes of debris on the pool. All that you have to do is to plug them and let the robotic cleaner do the job for you. It will drive around the pool, with some models even capable of climbing the stairs and cleaning even tight corners.
Pressure-Side Pool Cleaners
From the three types that are mentioned in this post, this is probably the most popular. You will have to attach it to the return jet in your swimming pool. Also known as booster pumps, it works by pushing water through a jet to move the cleaner and to pick up the debris. They often have a filter bag, but most of those designed for above ground pools do not have one.
Suction-Side Pool Cleaners
If you are looking for a budget-friendly alternative, this is the type that should be on the top of our list. This is a cleaner that will be hooked to the suction side of the circulation system of your swimming pool. It sucks water to move around the pool. It can also climb the walls and there are models with wheels to make it easier to move around as it cleans.
Best Automatic Pool Vacuum – Our Top Pick
#1 Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Pressure-Side (Editor’s Choice)
The cleaner is equipped with a large opening that can easily take up even large debris, such as leaves and pebbles. Meanwhile, with the powerful suction, you can be confident that the particles sucked will not end up clogging.
It is equipped with a large capacity filter bag. This is where the debris will be collected before they are sent to the collection basket. It also has an exceptional filtration system that is anticipated to demonstrate a long functional life.
This model can be directly connected to a pressure line for continuous operation. You can work without any interruption!
It should also be noted that this model has the ability to climb on the walls of the pool, making it more efficient when it comes to its cleaning performance.
#2 Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus (Best Robotic Pool Cleaner)
In our review of the top-rated robotic pool vacuums, this is the one that emerged on the top. Among others, one of its most advanced features is the Clever Clean technology. The latter has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer to allow it to clean a pool with a length of up to 50 feet, making sure that there will be no traces of dirt left behind. It has a software that provides a systematic scanning of the swimming pool to be able to clean all of the areas.
On the top of the unit, there is an easily accessible filter, which is large enough so that it won’t frequently need to be emptied. The filters can also be rinsed and reused, making it an economical unit in the long run.
Meanwhile, as it is equipped with dual scrubbing brushes, you can be confident that even the toughest dirt will not be able to escape its path.
To add, there is a revolutionary swivel technology, which improves the maneuverability of the cleaner while making sure that the cable will not end up tangling.
Lastly, there is a two-year warranty from the manufacturer.
#3 Zodiac Baracuda G3 W03000 (Best Suction Pool Cleaner)
One of the best features that you can find in this product is the Flow Keeper Valve. The latter is the one that is responsible for the automatic regulation of the flow of the water. Because of the latter, it is easy to maintain its peak performance for the best outcomes.
It should also be pointed out that it comes with only one moving part. This minimizes wear and tear on the components, increasing the likelihood that it will last longer.
Meanwhile, with the 36-finned disc, it can stick to almost any material and will have a wider cleaning path, allowing it to remove more dirt and debris in just a single pass. This also maximizes the suction power of the cleaner.
Lastly, there is a wheel deflector that allows it to navigate even tight spaces and prevents it from being stuck.
#4 Hayward PHS41CST (Best Suction Pool Cleaner)
The tire treads, on the other hand, have an innovative and patented technology, providing an assurance that it will be effortless for the unit the maneuver the surface of the pool while also providing it with the capability to climb on the walls.
There is also an adjustable roller skirt, which is another technology that has been exclusively developed by the company. The latter allows the suction to remain consistent and powerful, regardless of the dirt that it is taking in. With this, you can expect it to have an uninterrupted operation when cleaning.
#5 Pentair LL505G (Best Pressure Pool Cleaner)
The large intake throat of this cleaner allows it to easily tackle even large traces of dirt and debris. This also makes it possible to clean more in a single pass. There is also a sweep hose to clean even the areas that are hard to reach.
Meanwhile, it is equipped with a large capacity bag. This is great as you do not need to have it frequently emptied. This will be especially useful if you have a large pool.
When it comes to maneuverability, this can also prove to be excellent. One of the reasons for this is the four-wheel design. This allows the unit to stand upright and prevents it from tipping. To add, it has a front-wheel drive for improved traction on different surfaces.
- The 5 Best Pool Heater: 2018 Top Picks and Buying Guide
- The 5 Best Automatic Pool Cleaner (2018 Reviews)
- The 4 Best Pool Filter 2018 – Just Sand Filter enough for Pool?
- The 5 Best Pool Pump: 2018 Top Picks and Buying Guide
- Best Pool Cover Pump 2018 – Manual or Automatic Pool Cover Pump?
Why You Should Clean Your Pool Regularly
Even if it is a residential pool, regular cleaning is necessary. As experts would recommend, it would be best to clean the pool at least once a week using an automatic cleaner. Here are some of the reasons why you need to exert effort and spare time for cleaning your pool:
- Protect your Investment: Swimming pools can be expensive. With this, regular cleaning can help to extend its lifespan as it maintains the best condition of the floor and the walls. This also means that the water will retain its best condition for an extended period.
- Makes the Water Safer: The water in the pool can have bacteria and other impurities that can be a health risk, especially for the little ones. With this, regular cleaning is important to get rid of the possible contaminants.
- Avoid Costly Repairs: Even in the case of swimming pools, it is true that prevention is better than cure. Keeping the pool clean is a good way to prevent serious problems from being evident, minimizing the likelihood that you will have to spend a huge amount on repairs.
- Improve Aesthetics: The physical appearance of the pool can be significantly improved if you clean it regularly. It will even increase the selling value of your home if you plan to put it up on the market.
Considerations when Choosing an Automatic Pool Cleaner
You will most likely be overwhelmed by the abundance of the choices. To make it easier for you to decide, here are some of the most important considerations:
- Power: This will refer to the motor and the suction capability of the unit. Choose a pool cleaner that can tackle more dirt in a single pass. It must also be able to take in even large debris without clogging.
- Size of the Pool: The size of the pool that you have will also dictate which cleaner will work best for your needs. If you have a large swimming pool, choose a more powerful cleaner that can keep up with your requirements.
- Durability: You also have to look at the overall construction and materials used in the pool cleaner. All of the parts should be made using top-notch materials that could resist wear and tear.
- Maneuverability: It should be easy for the cleaner to move around. It will be good if it has four wheels, which will prevent it from tipping. Having intelligent navigation technology is also a plus, as well as the ability to move easily on different types of floor surfaces.
- Capacity: This refers to the capacity of the collection bag. It should be big enough so that it can accumulate more dirt and debris, especially if you have a large pool. Otherwise, you will need to have it emptied every now and then.
- Warranty: This is important for your peace of mind, knowing that the manufacturer covers the repair and replacement of the defective parts when it demonstrates problems with craftsmanship.
Tips and Tricks for Keeping the Swimming Pool Clean
Yes, you will indeed benefit from using the best automatic pool vacuums. However, there are other things that you can do to maintain the cleanliness of the swimming pool, including the things that will be noted below:
- If possible, you have to manually clean the pool daily. This should not require too much on your end. All that you need is a device that will catch any debris or litter floating in the pool. Deeper cleaning can be done at least once every two weeks or a month, depending on the extent of the usage.
- Make sure that you have the right filtration system. Consult with a pool contractor to know which one is best for your needs. Some of the most common types of filtration systems include sand, cartridge, and diatomaceous earth filters.
- It is also important that you check the chemistry of the pool water at least once a week. The pH level should be between 7.2 to 7.8. When the pH level is controlled, you will need less chlorine in keeping the pool clean.
- Always check the skimmer basket and clean it as needed. The skimmer should be able to accommodate the debris so that it won’t reach the pool. It will help in the removal of the particles that cannot be dealt with by the filters.
In sum, an automatic pool cleaner is indeed going to be a crucial investment. Yes, it can be expensive, but it will be worth every cent that you will be spending, especially because of how it makes cleaning a lot easier.
If there is only one that should be part of your list, we suggest that it should be the Polaris Vac-Sweep 280. This is a pressure-side pool cleaner with a climbing functionality for improved cleaning efficiency. It has excellent vacuum power and can clean the pool quickly, which can be attributed to its exceptional jets.