>> READ MORE:
- Best KYDEX IWB Holster Reviews
- Best IWB Holsters for Glock 19 Gen 4 Reviews
- Best Belly Band Holster Reviews
- Best OWB Holster For Glock 19
Table of Contents
- 1 How To Choose Your Ankle Holster?
- 2 Practicing And Wearing An Ankle Holster
- 3 Top 5 Best Ankle Holster Reviews
- 3.1 Uncle Mike’s Law Enforcement Kodra Nylon Ankle Holster with Retention Strap
- 3.2 Galco Ankle Glove / Ankle Holster for Glock 26, 27, 33
- 3.3 Ankle concealed Holster Fits The S&W Bodyguard 380 with Laser
- 3.4 OUTBAGS OB-32ANK Nylon Neoprene Ankle Holster
- 3.5 Galco Ankle Lite / Ankle Holster for Ruger LCP, KelTec P3AT, P32
How To Choose Your Ankle Holster?
Choosing the right holster, especially the right ankle holster is not a matter of joke. One has to be very judicious in choosing them so that it enhances the performance of the user to be precise. There are a couple of points to keep in mind while choosing the right ankle holster. They are:
- The material: The material of the ankle holster is made such that it is very comfortable for the user. Given the purpose of the whole thing, the slightest discomfort might have a deep effect on the performance of the user which is uncalled for. Mostly soft leather products are used mainly for the purpose of the whole thing is to give ease of movement and comfort in use.
- The design: There are a couple of different shapes and different designs for the ankle holsters that are available these days. You can make your choice depending on your requirement or simply your will.
- The price: The different ankle holsters are available at different price ranges. Before buying a new ankle holster you need to decide on how much you can afford to pay for the holster and then go out in the market and make your choice within that price range.
- Safety: The safety of the weapon when it is in the holster is also of vital importance. While selecting a holster you must be sure that the movement of the trigger of the weapon is restricted when in the holster. It must also be taken into account that the forward and the rearward movement of the hammer.
- Concealment: This is another factor that must be taken care of while purchasing an ankle holster. Before buying one make sure it will fit in perfectly around your ankle below the trousers and does not give the slightest hint of its presence to any second person around you. Only when this criterion is fulfilled will it be able to make a good concealed carry ankle holster.
- Durability: The material is for rough use and thus the durability of the product is something that will make it useful for the purpose.
- Adjustable: The adjustability of the ankle holster and the way it can hold the weapon is also a matter of consideration. The ankle holster should fit in just right around the person’s ankle and hold the firearm right in its place.
- Retention capacity: The capacity of the holster to retain the weapon and make sure it is ready to be drawn out by the user is also a considerable factor which has to be kept in mind while making the choice for an ankle holster for concealed carry.
Practicing And Wearing An Ankle Holster
Just buying a concealed carry ankle holster is not enough, knowing its proper usage and making the best out of it is what you should be looking out for. There are some things to consider while using an ankle holster. They are:
- It should fit around your leg so well that you do not feel the minimum discomfort while carrying it around anywhere. Too loose or too tight holsters might be troublesome for the job.
- Before deciding if your holster is good enough for you, practice drawing your weapon from it and aiming. Record the time while doing the same.
- The time was taken to draw your weapon from the holster should be around 1.5 seconds before you can call yourself a proficient user of the weapon. When that is served you will know the concealed carry ankle holster suits you just right.
- Try drawing out the firearm from the holster in more than one position. This would ensure your efficiency and enrichment in your performance.
- The ankle holster will hold the firearm on the inside of your leg, make sure it is in position at all times and the retention of the holster is maintained. This will, in turn, ensure that your performance is increased.
- Your instincts are a major factor in deciding your performance. The faster you can draw and as easily will decide how efficient you are in your job to you need to practice and reduce your timing for action before you can call yourself a professional and make use of a concealed carry weapon at the most. Practice alone will make you improve your performance.
Top 5 Best Ankle Holster Reviews
Uncle Mike’s Law Enforcement Kodra Nylon Ankle Holster with Retention Strap
This ankle holster is suitable for the law and enforcement department and the military as well given its amazing features. The hook and loop adjustment is one of the main reasons for its greatness and it is very appropriate for the purpose. The reinforced retention strap with thumb- break is also an attractive feature of this product.
- This is the best fit for small and medium sized handguns.
- This holster is inexpensive compared to the material and built quality and hence the ankle holster of choice for many.
- It is great for conceal carry and has good retention due to the extra strap at the top which assists in stability.
- The fabric is reasonably soft which adds to the comfort of the product for the user.
- The added foam works as a moisture barrier and absorbs sweat preventing the firearm from getting affected by the moisture.
- The material might start fraying near the Velcro strap with regular use.
- It does not feel comfortable and keeps getting loose if you don’t wear thick socks.
- Does not work equally well for all models like Kahr CW380 or P380. Only suitable for limited models.
Galco Ankle Glove / Ankle Holster for Glock 26, 27, 33
This holster by Galco is one of the most popular ankle holsters preferred by the military and the law and enforcement department. It is suitable for a couple of Glock products. This product has been tested for its durability and quality and has been ranked pretty high in it. However like everything else this product has a number of positive as well as negative characteristics as below.
- If you are looking for something classy then this leather finish ankle holster or ankle glove will suit your purpose. Even though it is going to stay concealed it will increase your style statement.
- The neoprene ankle band with its Velcro attachment will ensure that the ankle holster will fit perfectly in its position without the slightest discomfort to the user.
- The Sheepskin padding on the inner side of the ankle holster gives an extra amount of comfort to the user.
- If you are wearing socks with the holster then you might need an extra calf strap as otherwise, the holster might slip off from the ankle along with the firearm within it.
- Sometimes the Glock firearm might fit too tightly inside this holster which might cause trouble in drawing it from the ankle holster itself.
- If not properly fitted the holster might not close properly which may lead to safety issues with the holster and as a result affect the performance of the user.
Ankle concealed Holster Fits The S&W Bodyguard 380 with Laser
- The elastic Velcro strap and closure is made such that it fits perfectly on the ankle of the user providing the ultimate comfort to the user.
- The nylon and Velcro straps are adjustable so that the user can make the necessary changes to fit the holster to their ankle the right way.
- The Cordura ballistic nylon exterior of the ankle holster is meant to increase the durability of the ankle holster and it’s a one-time investment for the user.
- The stitching and finishing are great and the strong nylon threads are used for the purpose. Double stitches are done on special points so as to give a cutting edge to the durability and longevity of the ankle holster.
- The holster is only suitable for right-handed persons.
- The strap is devoid of any padding which is somewhat problematic for some of the users as it causes discomfort for them.
- The holster fits loosely on the strap whereas the strap fits in tightly on the ankle.
OUTBAGS OB-32ANK Nylon Neoprene Ankle Holster
The Outbacks have brought out new ankle holster which is a very popular product in the current scenario. This ankle holster is suitable for carrying a number of firearms effectively. It has a 4 * 15.5-inch brace and 18-inch stretch.
It makes use of premium nylon material obtained from southern California for the construction. It has proved to be a very safe ankle holster.
- The soft nylon padding of the holster is something that makes it very comfortable for the user.
- The safety strap is adjustable completely and hence can be used effectively by the user.
- It is a good product both for amateurs as well as professionals.
- It is made of durable 600 Denier Nylon.
- It is available at a reasonable price.
- This product is not suitable for thin ankles as the limit of the Velcro for fitting in the ankle is preset. If your ankle is too thin the holster will fit loosely and cause trouble and safety issues.
- The Velcro might stretch and loose its elasticity over time if used for long durations.
- It is suitable for only 12-hour shifts after which it starts becoming uncomfortable.
Galco Ankle Lite / Ankle Holster for Ruger LCP, KelTec P3AT, P32
Galco is one of the leading sellers of various types of holsters among which their Ankle lite holster is one of top ankle holsters available in the markets today. It is suitable for carrying a number of holsters, to begin with. It can be used for about 13-inch circumference of the ankle. It has been selected for its comfort as well as its quality.
- It is suitable both for a left-handed as well as right-handed shooters.
- The padding is soft but not bulky which ensure that the purpose of the concealed carry holster is served well.
- The speed of drawing and aiming the weapon is increased with the help of the reinforced thumb break retention strap.
- It is available in the black and khaki finish for the ultimate comfort and style.
- It is not suitable in places where heavy clothing is essential.
- If the ankle is skinny the holster might be loose and cause troubles in the performance.
- The stitch is good but it does not fit well for some.
- The price for the product is somewhat high given the features it comes along with.
The whole purpose of a concealed carry holster is performed well only when it gives the maximum comfort to the user, safety for the device, high retention capacity, speed drawing of the firearm, perfect fit, enhanced performance of the user and all this in a reasonable price. There are variously available in the market these days but it the compatibility with the holster varies from person to person and depends on their preferences as well as their budgets.
Choosing the best ankle holster is not easy. Taking into consideration all the related factors is essential for making the right choice of ankle holster from the wide range of choices. Think wisely and make the right choice for your next ankle holster.