Even with perfect vision, keeping a close eye on your target, especially during a hunting trip or shooting competition can be a bit of a challenge. Factor in intense heat, sunlight, wind and rain, and you will be completely convinced that you need a rifle scope to see your target more accurately. Of course, there are several brands, makes and models that are available in the market for rifles. And they can get a little more confusing, if you do not know anything about what you are buying.
If you are hunter or you simply enjoy a good target practice every once in a while, a 3 to 9 power x 40 rifle scope, can certainly be your best ally. It is capable of low-magnification for close range shooting, as well as large magnification for those choosing targets from afar, and shooting them at great or long distances. And while this round and rifle are both really popular, finding the best 3-9×40 scopes can be a daunting task even for seasoned hunters and gun experts.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 3 Best 3-9×40 Scopes – Comparison Chart
- 2 Optical Powers and Reticles
- 3 Materials and Design
- 4 Lens Size
- 5 Related Posts:
Top 3 Best 3-9×40 Scopes – Comparison Chart
|Picture||Name||Our Rating||Price||Get Product|
|Leupold 3-9x40mm Duplex Reticle||4.9||$$|
|Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle 3-9x40||4.8||$$|
|Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope||4.7||$$|
Looking for the best scope for your rifle? Start by finding out the different factors that you should consider to find the one that suits your needs and expectations:
- Optical Powers and Reticles
- Materials and Design
- Lens size
We also have done our research and tested 3 of the most popular brands/models of 3-9×40 rifle scopes to further provide you with the information that you need. So, let’s begin, shall we?
Optical Powers and Reticles
- Leupold 3-9x40mm Duplex Reticle – the Leupold offers a 3 to 9 times zoom or magnification, which is great for both close range and long distance target shooting. The scope has a 40 mm objective aperture diameter as well. At 3x zoom, the reticles field eye view is about 32.3 feet @100 yards and if you will be relying on its 9x zoom, your field view would be at 14 feet @100 yards. It’s a ¼ MOA that clicks to let you know that you have successfully adjusted your windage and elevation view and range. It offers great memory, with its repeatable accuracy. Its lenses are multi coated (4 times) to ensure a reliable and high-quality light transmission. The lenses will also deflect unnecessary light to avoid any disruptions and from affecting your sight.
- Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle 3-9×40 – for all-around hunting, the Vortex seems to be one of the really popular choices. Like the rest, it offers a magnification or zoom capabilities of between 3x to 9x. The objective aperture diameter is also at 40 mm. This rifle scope is also equipped with the Precision Glide Erector System that guarantees a smooth transition of magnification even under really harsh weather conditions. The reticle can be adjusted depending on the magnification that you want to use, but as a standard, if using its 3x zoom, it has a field of view of 44.6 feet @100 yards and 14.8 feet @100 yards. You can easily and precisely set your windage and elevation with just a simple nudge of the scope’s pop-up dials.
- Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope – again perfect for those who are into sports or hobby hunting, the Nikon Prostaff Rifle scope is made to ensure that zooming in and out is a breeze. The lenses are fully coated, multiple times to transmit up to 98 percent of available light in your surroundings. This means that you will always get a really clear view of your target even if the weather is not at its friendliest mood. It is also known for its really versatile magnification or zoom range, that is perfect for the serious hunters out there. Since it can go from 3x zoom to as much as 9x, you can also expect different field of views depending on the magnification that you have chosen. For a 3x zoom, your FOV is 33.8 feet @100 yards and for a 9x zoom, the FOV is 11.3 feet @100 yards. The adjustment gradation is also at ¼” MOA like the others on this list.
Our pick for the best in Optical Powers and Reticles: Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle 3-9×40
Runner Up: Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope
Materials and Design
- Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope – when it comes to design, this is definitely one of the few that caught our attention. It’s waterproof, shock proof and of course, fog proof that ensures the you will get the best view in whatever weather. The tube and the lenses are filled with Nitrogen and the O-ring is tightly sealed to prevent any type of moisture from getting in. The eye relief is designed to keep your eye brows safe, even during a really strong or violent recoil. It is compact and really easy to install.
- Leupold 3-9x40mm Duplex Reticle – you can say that the Leupold helped pioneer the waterproof technology on rifle scopes which later on became the standard of all scope manufacturers from all over the globe. It is rugged and sleek. It’s duplex reticle comes in different styles, depending on your needs. Now, as for is look, we favor the matte black finish because it doesn’t draw too much attention when you are out there trying to chase your game. Oh and did we mention that it comes with a lifetime warranty?
- Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle 3-9×40 – the Vortex Optics’ fully coated optics to allow light transmission of 91% or higher which means that it can perform even at low light. Adjusting elevations and windage is easy because you will easily hear it click as you make the adjustments. It has a Zero re-set turret that allows fast focus and really quick field view set-ups. It also features are True Finger turrets that are low profile and user-friendly. The design is resistant to moisture, fog, heat. The actual lenses are purged in Argon gas that makes sure that you wouldn’t have any corrosion issues. The matte finish gives it a sleek and a really elegant look, even if you are going to use it for rugged activities.
Our pick for the best in Materials and Design: Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope
Runner Up: Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle 3-9×40
- Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle 3-9×40 – the total length of the rifle scope is 11.6 inches, which is a good size for most rifles. At 14.4 ounces, it doesn’t weigh much either, but it is heavier than the Leupold.
- Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope – the Nikon Prostaff Matte Black Riflescope has a total length of 12.3 inches and weighs about 13 ounces. You can say that this is really a good size for a scope, especially if you are always out hunting or carrying your rifle with you.
- Leupold 3-9x40mm Duplex Reticle – the scope is about 12.4 inches in length, which is just the right size for a riflescope. With a total weight of around 12 ounces, it is light enough to be attached to your rifle. The diameter of the tube is around 1-inch thick and the eyepiece is 1.6 inches in width. These dimensions are perfect for scoping and spotting your target without interferences.
Our pick for the best in Lens Size: Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope and Leupold 3-9x40mm Duplex Reticle
The battle for the best 3-9×40 scopes was really tight. Even towards the end of our tests and retests, the race was still close. But when you consider all the factors that we have provided, the clear winner is definitely the Nikon ProStaff Black Matte Riflescope because if its durability and added features. Coming in really close second is the Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle 3-9×40 because it shares almost the same features as that of the Nikon version.